Quick video looking into all 3 of my hives, the two Langstroth hives and the Kenyan top bar hive as we come to the end of winter.
I thought I would just look around a little for Nosema in my bees.
“I won’t find any Nosema.” – BA, first year beekeeper
Man was I wrong!
We had a “warm” 30ºF day, so I wandered out to see how the bee hives winter survival is going.
Here I am, crazy bee keeper out in the snow and cold, giving a bee hive winter update:
“What the heck do I know?”
There’s this period when you are learning something, when you have some book knowledge, you have heard many experienced folk’s opinions and then you try to use this information and move forward in the real world as a beginner. This is not always easy.
I have three hives and as we enter Fall, each is doing a little different. This is a nerve wracking season for me as a first year bee keeper, trying to make sure they are as well prepared as can be, because once it’s cold and they’re winterized, I won’t be able to go in and “help” them at all or (more likely needed) fix mistakes I made earlier. And my fingers will be crossed all winter. We’ll see who survives and is alive in the Spring.
Hive A, Langstroth, 8 frame mediums:
You know that heart sinking feeling when something goes wrong? Yeah, that.
That’s what I experienced Friday, September 12th, when I did a hive inspection of the Kenyan top bar hive (KTBH). It was mid-day, mid-seventies, so not too hot. And I found some of the comb close to the entrance (starting with comb 14 of 20 [20 being the newest comb]) curling at the edges towards the entrance, which I have heard happens. And I have also heard to cut the comb off the top bar a little at the edges, push it back where I want it to be & the bees will fix it back onto the top bar. I did this to comb 18, 17, 16 and put them back into the hive. While comb 15 was hanging on the outside of the hive (over a Langstroth inner cover in case anything dropped – I was thinking “queen” when I set it up), I adjusted the edges and turning away, heard a sickening “thud” as 2/3 of the comb broke off the top bar and plopped onto the inner cover on the ground. Continue reading “Kenyan Top Bar Hive – Learning Experience”
“One swarm captured and Two queenless hives.” Kinda like “two turntables and a microphone”… or not.
So, I caught a swarm with my dad last week!!! OMG it was so exciting, I almost hyperventilated. We installed them in a homemade Kenyan Top Bar Hive (KTBH) I wasn’t planning on using until next year. So now I have 2 Langstroths and a KTBH. I’ve been scrambling to re-read the KTBH info I originally read a year ago (and promptly replaced in my brain with Langstroth info). I’ll write about that hive another time – it’s doing great at the moment.