Thinking about running an easy hive for a beginner beekeeper? This Warré hive design post is a video tour, and filmed before the bees were installed. Warré hives have the reputation of being “natural”: the People’s Hive!
Warré hive design – a video tour
Components of this Warré hive:
- screened bottom board (with space to slide in an observation board)
- hive body with rabbets (“rebates” in England) at the top and bottom
- corked holes in the hive bodies to check on comb and could be upper entrances
- nails to act as spacers
- top bars with groove and popsicle stick comb guides
- top bars treated on top with raw linseed oil
- hive top feeder
- top bar cloth
- quilt box
- roof with mouse board and ventilation
You can read more about the pros and cons of Warré hives.
Do you have a Warré hive? Or did you? What did you think of it? Or maybe you are considering one? Please feel free to comment below.